Archive for July 2011
you know when you were a kid and other kids would try to make you do stupid stuff by saying, “betcha can’t _______.” and you’re be like, “nuh uh!!” and then you’d either break your arm or look like a hero.
i kind of go through a similar situation as an adult. one of the things that makes me really angry is when people don’t think i can do something that i can. it’s different from the childhood scenario in that when you’re a kid and someone dares you to do something, you don’t know if you can do it. you may think you can, but you don’t know it. in my situation, i can clearly perform said task and yet sometimes people doubt i can do it.
it hurts to know someone doubts your abilities. it stinks to be misunderstood. i definitely care what other people think. i don’t want people to think i’m some inept, clumsy oaf when i’m really a very competent clumsy oaf. maybe i shouldn’t care, i just hate the thought that someone would think something about me that couldn’t be farther from the truth.
as a sound engineer, i’ve had the privilege of helping out with many weddings. lately however, i’ve been more involved with weddings of people i don’t know. it’s a weird feeling to be a part of such a big event when it means almost nothing to you.
don’t get me wrong, all weddings are important. it’s just when it’s not your wedding or your friend’s wedding, or when you pretty much don’t know anyone at the wedding that the wedding loses its significance. this can be a good and bad thing. the good is that you don’t feel as stressed to “perform” as well. i mean, if a stranger gets mad at you for setting up the sound equipment behind schedule, it’s not as big a deal as when you’re late setting up sound equipment for your friend’s wedding. the bad is that it’s easier not to care if you’re behind schedule.
i have to keep telling myself that this is one of the biggest days of the couple’s lives even if it’s just another day for me and i need to do my best.
it’s amazing how one day can mean the world for one person, and yet mean nothing to someone else. it’s like when it’s your birthday and you expect the whole world to stop and recognize the day as a national holiday but instead your professor assigns a midterm. huge day for you, not so much for your professor.
me, i rarely get a sweet tooth, but when i do, i go crazy until i get something sweet.
ex. i’m currently hanging out at panera and had to get a toffee nut cookie. i was going crazy. seriously. crazy.
however, it doesn’t take much to satisfy my sweet tooth. just a couple spoonfuls of ice cream or a couple oreos and i’m set for about a month. don’t get me wrong, i looooove cookies. i just don’t crave them that often. i’m talking go crazy craving.
i figure everyone loves cookies. how could you not? there’s so many varieties out there, there’s gotta be one that each person likes: crunchy, chewy, creme filled, shortbread, chocolate, double chocolate, chocolate fudge, made from scratch, break and bake, with nuts, with candy, deep fried, double stuffed, chunky, girl scout, etc.
here are my all time favorite cookies:
1. snickerdoodles – there’s just something about the cinnamony goodness and the funny sounding name that makes me feel good inside. i just found out pepperidge farm started making soft baked snickerdoodles. must be chewy
2. sugar cookies – plain and simple. MUST be chewy. not a fan of crunchy sugar cookies. pepperidge farm started making these soft baked too. they’re actually really good.
3. white chocolate macadamia – must be chewy. not a fan of milk or dark chocolate in my cookies (or in general). white chocolate somehow does it for me in cookies. and the macadamia nuts add the crunch that compliments my chewy cookie.
4. samoas – i never had samoas until i was almost done with college. until then i thought thin mints were the greatest thing on earth. wrong! don’t let the coconuts scare you off, these things are legit. i used to be so annoyed when girl scouts hounded me outside the grocery store trying to sell cookies. “leave me alone little girls and your moms!” i’d say to them in my head. now, i seek them out like a cookie hungry monster, or “cookie monster” if you will. mmmm… samoas. i might even put these higher on the list because of the limited time factor. i seriously think they put crack in these cookies cause i could eat a whole box in one sitting.
5. ice cream sandwich – i’m not talkin’ the black rectangular shaped soft so called “cookie” with the vanilla ice cream inside. i’m talking vanilla ice cream sandwiched between 2 real chocolate chip cookies. maybe this doesn’t fit with the rest of the cookies, i think i just want an ice cream sandwich right now. ahhh!! i’m going crazy!!
what’s your favorite cookie?