Archive for the ‘new music’ Category
there are very few things i love more than new music. i get really excited when i download a new album and get to
listen to blast it in my car. it doesn’t even have to be a new album, it could just be 1 song and that’ll get me going. with that being said, i always look forward to the beginning of the month, when amazon puts out their new month’s $5 albums. there’s usually some really good choices in there. i’ve started to stray away from itunes because amazon is usually the cheaper choice of the 2 and they don’t do that protection stuff on their .mp3’s and NOT .mp4’s.
so i thought i’d give a little heads up on some music and some short reviews if you are in need of new music. and i say need because i consider new music a need.
most coldplay albums: i fell for the itunes trick of downloading x and y for 7.99 when they released moto xyloto this past week since they were selling all past coldplay albums for 7.99. what a steal right? wrong. amazon now has x and y, parachutes, and a rush of blood to the head for $5 each. $5!!! what a fool i was not to trust amazon. i only recently got into coldplay and still, i can’t listen to them too much or else i’d get depressed. their songs are just so somber sometimes. i mean, they’re great musicians, i just can’t handle them for too long. anyways, parachutes ($5) and viva la vida (6.99 – still cheaper than itunes) are prob my favorite albums from them so far probably because they’re the more upbeat ones. mylo xyloto is also pretty good. i’m liking it so far. i’d recommend it if you’re a fan of coldplay.
the miseducation of lauryn hill: this one is also $5 in november. man, GET THIS ALBUM if you don’t have it already. i really wish she’d come out with more music cause her music speaks to my soul. for real, her voice is amazing, she can lay down rhymes, sing a balad, anything this woman does is pure gold!! i got this when it first came out and i’m still listening to it regularly.
new switchfoot: “vice verses” came out a month or 2 ago. i haven’t dl’ed it, but from what i’ve previewed it sounds good. just a progressing switchfoot sound. they didn’t go off the mark, they do what they do best. i’d want to get this if i hadn’t dl’ed so much other stuff already. personally, i love their harder, edgier songs but they also have the softer and “happier” switchfoot songs that people are used to. this one is 8.99 on amazon and 10.99 on itunes.
relient k ep: “k is for karaoke” came out last month. it came in 2 parts. personally i haven’t listend to relient k since “mm-hmm” came out which i think was their last great album, but in these ep’s they’ve done a bunch of cover songs relient k style. i like part 2 better than part 1 just cause i feel part 2 fits my musical tastes better. part 1 is on sale for $5 (although it is only an ep so you’re not getting the BEST deal), but part 2 is not on sale. sucks, cause i like part 2 better. i might just dl a couple of the part 2 songs cause i like them so much.
new david choi: i’m a big fan of david choi. his new album “forever and ever” is definitely more upbeat, more jazzy/bluesy than his debut or his sophomore album. personally i thought his first album was more folk-y than it needed to be especially when you heard songs from him like “that girl”, “valentine’s day”, and “won’t even start”. “by my side” was kind of a softer side of david choi. but “forever and ever” is more the classic david choi you like to hear. it’s got more of the raspy voice david singing runs and even rapping. “forever and ever” is 7.99 on amazon, 9.99 on itunes.
get your new music!!
– amazon has a free $2 credit for their mp3 store. click here for the link. it’s not much, but that’s 2 new songs you could be listening to, or $2 off an album. and they have some good albums for $5.
– i’ve been listening a lot to owl city’s newest album: all things bright and beautiful. it’s a lot like ocean eyes, but there’s a couple songs that cross over into the dance/hip hop genre. one of my favorite tracks is alligator sky (album version) cause he features rapper shawn chrystopher which fits really nicely with the rest of the track. kind of a paul oakenfold “starry eyed surprise” feel to it. “the yacht club” features female vocalist lights. yeah, that’s what she goes by. personally i liked breanne duren better on her vocals on “saltwater room” on the debut album ocean eyes. lights toured with owl city this past year and i definitely preferred breanne to her voice. breanne does do vocals on “honey and the bee” on the all things album.
– lasers by lupe fiasco is a great album. seriously, i love every track which is very hard to find in a hip hop album. every beat is catchy and his lyrics are smartly written. you might not agree with him politically, but you can’t argue with great musicianship. my favorite track is “state run radio”. check it out. now. do it.
– i wish amazon mp3 had a “complete my album” like itunes does. or at least tracks your past purchases. i think with the cloud player, it’s a little better cause before i would buy a track and because my internet wasn’t that great, it wouldn’t complete the download even though it charged my card. i’d have to re-purchase the track. i did contact them about it and they gave me a credit in the amount of my re-purchase.
– check out amazon every month for their $5 albums. they usually have a lot of good, recent albums on sale. shoot, i was even tempted to dl a bunch of taylor swift albums when they were on sale for $5. i didn’t though… nothing against her, i just don’t think i could handle that much taylor.
– did you know amazon and itunes both have a 0.69 section? usually recent songs. for instance, right now on itunes they have a one republic section featuring 5 or 6 songs. i would recommend dl’ing “secrets” and/or “good life”. both for 0.69. itunes breaks their sections into 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, dance, country, christian, hip hop, rock, etc.
– old skool hip hop pick of the week: pharcyde’s runnin’ (philippians RMX). classic with a updated remix beat. love it. dj choice, shout out to you, you know you love it!
– i’m hesitant to get classic songs like old 80’s songs or old mariah carey songs. although i love the songs and would love to have them in my collection, i just don’t think i’d listen to them enough to justify buying them. i mean, “always be my baby” and “we didn’t start the fire” are great songs, but if they came up in my playlist, i’d definitely skip them.
– do you have any music advice?
i have (somewhat) successfully created a facebook fanpage which you can view and “like” here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/enoch-chang/120465264641039?v=wall
you’ll be able to view the hottest and newest videos and receive updates for whatever it is i will update in the future.